The Ontario Immigration Nominee Program (OINP) allows foreign workers, international students and others with the right skills, experience and education to apply for a nomination for permanent residence in Ontario.
The program is:
- operated by the Ontario government in partnership with the federal government through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- designed to help Ontario meet its labour market and economic development needs
What you need to know
The OINP is made up of three categories and each category is divided into several streams:
- Employer job offer
- Human capital
Employer job offer category
The employer job offer category has three streams. You must have a full-time and permanent job offer from an Ontario employer to qualify.
Employer Job Offer:
- Foreign Worker Stream
- International Student Stream• In-Demand Skills Stream
- In-Demand Skills Stream
Human capital category
The human capital category has two sub-categories, the international graduate streams and Ontario’s Express Entry streams.
To qualify under the Masters Graduate or PhD Graduate streams, you must have a graduate degree from an eligible Ontario university and apply within two years of getting your degree:
- Masters Graduate Stream
- PhD Graduate Stream
Ontario’s Express Entry
To qualify under Ontario’s Express Entry streams, you must have a profile in the federal government’s Express Entry system and receive a Notification of Interest from Ontario.
Ontario’s Express Entry:
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
- Human Capital Priorities Stream
- Skilled Trades Stream
The business category has two streams:
- Corporate stream: You must be an international corporation looking to expand or buy an existing business in Ontario
- Entrepreneur stream: You must be an entrepreneur from outside of Canada looking to start a new business or buy an existing business in Ontario
There are three main steps to follow when applying for permanent residence:
- make sure you qualify
- apply to be nominated by the Ontario government
- apply to the Government of Canada for permanent residence
1. Make sure you qualify
Once you’ve selected the stream you would like to apply under, make sure you meet all the mandatory requirements for that stream.
2. Apply to be nominated by the Ontario government
Once you’ve chosen your stream, you must apply online, through the OINP e-Filing Portal. It takes between two to three hours to complete the application.
The application cost for:
- the employer job offer and human capital streams is either $1,500 or $2,000
- the business streams is $3,500 per business partner or key staff applicant
We only accept Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard and MasterCard Debit.
Application processing times vary, read Application Processing Times and Nominations Issued for more information.
3. Apply to the Government of Canada for permanent residence
If your application is successful and you are nominated by the Ontario government, the next step is to apply for permanent residence through IRCC.
The Government of Canada makes the final decision on who becomes a permanent resident.
Support for businesses
The Business Immigration Services team takes an active role in helping employers find talent solutions with immigration. OINP Business Services can help innovative companies that are scaling-up or significantly investing in Ontario to get expedited work permit and LMIA processing – and personalized service – for highly skilled talent needs.