Live-in caregivers who are specially qualified to provide care for children, Disabled or elderlies in private homes without any caretakers. On getting the visa caretakers are allowed to stay in the private homes in Canada. The processing of this visa takes time as it requires proper work experience, good hold of English or French language and a high school diploma. Under this program you will have to provide care of at least 30 hours a week to children (under 18 years of age), elderly (65 or over) or a disabled Person.
Requirements to apply under caregiver visa program:
- The contract received from Canada must be signed by the future employers as well as by you.
- Successful completion of education from the Canadian secondary school.
- Must have completed at least six months training or one year of full-time work experience as a nanny or related occupation in Canada.
- You will also have to provide references from a former employer.
- Work permits before entering Canada.
To get hired, your employer will have to get the offer letter reviewed from HRSDC or SC which check that currently there are not enough Permanent Residents of Canada to fulfill this. He must also get a Labor Market Opinion from HRSDC or SC. You will need the copy of this LMO while applying for a work permit.
Can I leave the Live-in Caregiver Program and get another type of job?
If you wish to leave the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) and get another type of job, you need to find a job first. Then, your new employer must get a positive Labour Market Opinion (a document that an employer in Canada must usually get before hiring a foreign worker). After that, you must apply for a new work permit. The hours you work for any employer outside the LCP will not count toward the work experience you need to apply for permanent residence under the LCP.